The reading list below is a representative set of articles that we recommend for our trainees and other quality and safety enthusiasts. They are also part of the reading lists provided during our resident and student rotations in quality and safety.
For additional information or suggestions of other articles to include, please contact Naama Neeman, Administrative Director of Quality and Safety Programs (415) 476-9227; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patient safety and systems thinking
Measurement of Patient Safety and Healthcare Quality
Approaches to improving healthcare quality and safety
- AHRQ PSNet Patient Safety Primers: “Human Factors Engineering”, “Checklists”, and “Root Cause Analysis”.
- "How do good ideas spread?" Gawande A. The New Yorker, July 29, 2013.
- "The Checklist.” Gawande A. The New Yorker, December 10, 2007.
- “Reality check for checklists.” Bosk CL et al, Lancet, Volume 374, Issue 9688, Pages 444 - 445, 8 August 2009.
- “The tension between needing to improve care and knowing how to do it.” Auerbach AD, Landefeld CS, Shojania KG. N Engl J Med 2007; 357(6): 608-13.
- “The science of improvement.” Berwick DM. JAMA 2008; 299(10): 1182-4.
- “Explaining Michigan: developing an ex post theory of a quality improvement program.” Dixon-Woods M et al, The Milbank Quarterly, Vol. 89, No. 2, 2011 (pp. 167–205).
- "Ten challenges in improving quality in healthcare: lessons from the Health Foundation’s programme evaluations and relevant literature.” Dixon-Woods M et al, BMJ Qual Saf 2012;21:876–884.
- “Harnessing the power of feedback loops.” Goetz T, Wired magazine, June 2011.
- “If Health Care is Going to Change, Dr. Brent James’ Ideas Will Change It.” The New York Times Magazine, November 8, 2009.
- “The Promise of Lean in Health Care.” Toussaint JS, Berry L. Mayo Clinic Proceedings 2013;88(1):74-82.
- “Redesigning health care with insights from the science of complex adaptive systems.” Plsek P et al, Appendix B in Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health Care System for the 21st Century. Institute of Medicine, 2001.
Leadership and Change Management
Healthcare Quality and Value